Showing posts with label landslide. Show all posts
Showing posts with label landslide. Show all posts

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Landslide fear grips residents at Taman Zooview


This is another site where residents are living in fear of a landslide. This is at Taman Zooview, a 30-year-old housing estate on the hillslopes next to the National Zoo in Hulu Kelang, Kuala Lumpur. The eroded patch in question is Jalan Lee Woon (and I know two families living there).

This time, somebody messed with nature: ".. the owner of the house above the hillslope had cleared the patch of its natural vegetation apparently to have a better view of the city below." As if things aren't bad enough, the owner has gone overseas and the house is now vacant.

On a positive note about the Bukit Antarabangsa landslide, "The Government will consider compensating victims of the Bukit Antarabangsa landslide," said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Another Landslide in the Making?

I'm not sure if I'm generalising but December does not seem to be a good month normally for Malaysia. With the heavy rainfall come mishaps such as floods and landslides.

In another area in Kuala Lumpur, Cheras, residents here are living in fear of a possible landslide as shown in the photo. Hope the authorities step in for appropriate action.

Meanwhile, residents of Bukit Antarabangsa are taking legal action against government authorities for compensation for not taking appropriate remedial action earlier on when residents reported several incidents. Do they have a case, do you think?

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bukit Antarabangsa Landslide - Second day


Search and rescue operations have been halted following strong earth movement on the hillslopes on Sunday. This is a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of the search and rescue teams which reportedly total 500 personnel from the police, Fire & Rescue, Civil Defence and the army.

Four people were killed. The landslide hit 14 bungalows in Taman Bukit Mewah and Taman Bukit Utama at 4am yesterday.

Police are conducting a thorough examination to ensure that no one is still caught there.

Selangor police chief Datuk Khalid Abu Bakar assured residents in the vicinity who had evacuated their homes that their property and belongings would be safe as General Operations Force (GOF) personnel were keeping watch there round-the-clock.

About 20 residents who had refused to vacate their homes will have food sent to them.

This is the aftermath of the landslide


Source: The Star

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Landslide at Bukit Antarabangsa, Kuala Lumpur

A massive landslide occurred in Bukit Antarabangsa, a hillside residential area in Kuala Lumpur, at 4am this morning, Saturday. As of 2.20pm Saturday, three people are confirmed dead and 15 injured, more than 2000 evacuated. This site is about 1.5km away from one of three Highland Towers which collapsed on Dec 11, 1993, killing 48 people.








More pictures from The Star's Photo Gallery

Related stories:
Group: We’ve enough grounds to take action against authorities
Landslide victims may be paid for losses incurred, says Abdullah