Monday, November 12, 2007

Treasure Each Day

Last week, we (my family) lost a very good family friend. He was having dinner with his family at the time. I won't go into the details but he was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital. I miss him.

Death itself is not scary (at least not to me) but the thought of losing someone unexpectedly is. How often have we heard of people passing on suddenly leaving no parting words nor any indication of his impending demise. There's no denying that life is indeed unpredictable and fragile - it could be here today, gone tomorrow. I don't mean to sound so morbid but that's basically true.

Meaning of Today

I may never see tomorrow
There's no written guarantee
And things that happened yesterday
Belong to history.

I cannot predict the future
I cannot change the past
I have just the present moment
I must treat it as my last.

I must use the moment wisely
For it soon will pass away
And be lost to me forever
As part of yesterday.

I must exercise compassion
Help the fallen to their feet
Be a friend to the friendless
Make an empty life complete.

The unkind things I do today
May never be undone
Any friendships that I fail to win
May nevermore be won.

I may not have another chance
On bended knee to pray
And I thank God with humble heart
For giving me the day.


Source unknown

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:02 AM

    I am very sorry to hear that. That is a beautiful poetry. Especially the last three paragraphs. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Andie, thank you.

    ReplyDelete