Monday, October 27, 2008

KISS - I Was Made For Loving You / Deep Purple

Let's have a blast from the past, shall we? Eh?
So sci-fi..
So surreal..
So tickled..I am.. (Oops!)
by this video of KISS performing their uncharacteristic disco number I Was Made For Loving You.

So bizarre but so ahead of their time - heels, makeup and all - putting Boy George to shame? Co-written by guitarist and vocalist, Paul Stanley, and Desmond Child and Vini Poncia, this song was a conscious effort on his (Paul's) part to prove how easy it was to write and record a hit disco song. Enjoy!



I love reggae besides rock. Noticed the Jason Mraz video on the side bar? I've posted it here too. You know, I've been playing that over and over and over. It really grows on you. I'm a lost cause. LOL! Give it a listen, if you haven't.


After listening to that KISS number, we can't miss Deep Purple, can we? Hey, why don't we have a mini Deep Purple rock festival?! These are my favorite Deep Purple numbers.

This one is popular, Smoke On The Water.


Notes from the video:

The original Mark II lineup playing "Smoke on the Water" in New York, 1973. One of the final performances, this is one of the only videos of the band performing it in the 70's w/ Ian Gillan and Roger Glover.

Child in Time. I like their older versions, like those recorded when they first started out. This one was recorded in 1970.


Game for a rock mystery? In this clip, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNoomZQ7xbY - embedding disabled) at 7:27, you will hear a loud popping sound. The news is someone committed suicide at this concert in Japan and the sound is one of a gunshot. Give it a listen and tell me what you hear. Is it a mike stand falling over? A guitar string snapped? Or what?

Here's a rare footage of some of Britain's most renowned music critics, giving the band their well-deserved due. Some great vocal gymnastics here too showing Gillan's amazing vocal range and Blackmore's awesome guitarwork.


Okay, time for Strange Kind of Woman


Highway Star


Let's tone down a little with Soldier of Fortune.


And this one has got to be my all-time Deep Purple favorite, Black Night. Too bad this recording is not that good, kinda like muffled, something quite like The Beatles' studio recording of Get Back. Oh well..



Ladies and Gentlemen, we've come to the end of tonight's Deep Purple concert. I hope you have enjoyed the show. Thank you all for coming.

........Deep Purple has left the building....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, WHAT a selection!!!!

    I was a huge KISS fan in my late grade school and junior high years...until the Dynasty album (including "I Was Made for Loving You") came out. KISS said in a promotional album, "This album shows that we can change with the times." I thought, "No, this shows that you can chuck your pride and sell out!" I ceased to be a KISS fan after that.

    Watching that video now, though, I find I enjoy it a lot more than I did back then...especially now that I understand their motives a bit more.

    Deep Purple, reggae...Happy, you never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MM said: Deep Purple, reggae...Happy, you never cease to amaze me!

    I know. I have that effect on people sometimes. *tongue in cheek* LOL!

    MM, thank you. I am humbled!

    I must be driving my neighbours up the wall lately.

    ReplyDelete