Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Teaching my granddaughter how to cook

Guest post written by Grace Miller

One of the things that I promised my granddaughter is that I would teach her how to cook a few basic dishes before she has to fend for herself at college. Until this summer she didn’t know how to do much besides heat up frozen chicken in the oven or fix maracaroni and cheese.

However, my daughter always hated cooking so she never bothered to teach her kids how. I think my granddaughter is picking up on it well. So far I’ve taught her how to make pizza with simple dough made from scratch, fajitas and herb grilled chicken. These seem like pretty basic ones that she can pull off in a cramped dorm kitchen.

As a result, we’ve also spent a lot of quality time and had some great conversations. But at first we were having some problems because over the noise of kneading dough and sizzling vegetables I couldn’t hear her side of the conversation. She suggested that I look up miracle ear cost and get some hearing aids. I did both and noticed a huge difference, with less in the way of me enjoying time with my granddaughter before she heads off to college.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...you have a daughter already? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:28 AM

    I learned to cook basic dishes before I left for uni. Now that I am working, I don't cook. But I guess basic cooking skills never go away once you have learned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tekkaus, I wish! Bet you can't wait for your little Jordan to have one of his own. :)

    Mei Teng, totally agree about basic cooking skills never go away. Have you had the chance to visit the two cooking sites on this post? They've got awesome recipes and great cooking information - worth bookmarking too. Check them out.

    ReplyDelete