Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Good day to start work..

We are just about five weeks to Chinese New Year and this is the time of year in which most working Chinese may want to check out what's the best day to start work in the new Lunar Year - perhaps, part out of curiosity, part wanting to be sure to start the year right and to schedule one's leave. Me included.

So a search on good day to start work in the new year surprisingly yielded on top spot Steve Jobs commencement address at Stanford College. Strange!

I've read this piece before but I couldn't pass up rereading it because I remember it as being very inspirational the first time I read it. So I reread this now-famous pitch.  This was published nine years ago and I reproduce the beginning of it below.

Print


'You've got to find what you love,' Jobs says

This is a prepared text of the Commencement address delivered by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, on June 12, 2005.

I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That's it. No big deal. Just three stories.

The first story is about connecting the dots.

My second story is about love and loss.

My third story is about death.


You can read the full text here: 'You've got to find what you love,' Jobs says on the Stanford site.


Part II..

Still wondering about how far off the search result was to a query that is so dissimilar to the result, I went back to the tab and found that I had made a typo actually. I mistakenly typed in 'good day to start work in 2005' instead of 2015. If I had correctly typed in '2015' the result would have been different. But, I must say, no regret about the typo. Call it serendipity?

Oh by the way, if you are interested to know good day(s) to start work in the new lunar year, do check back. I've found a good site with the info. I just need to tweak it a little for better understanding.

Update: This is it - Good days to start work in 2015 after Chinese New Year

4 comments:

  1. so fast CNY is coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like not too long ago, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Haha! It's no accident that you typed wrongly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing happens by chance, eh?

      Say, Foong, I'm looking forward to your feng shui updates from Joey Yap and Lilian Too's seminars.

      Delete