Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Spoon

This is a forwarded article. Not sure if it's a joke but
it sure makes you wonder. Enjoy it anyway.

















Last week we took some friends out to a new Italian restaurant,
and noticed that the waiter who took our order carried a spoon
in his shirt pocket. It seemed a little strange, but I ignored it.

However, when the bus boy brought out water and utensils, I
noticed he also had a spoon in his shirt pocket, then I looked
around the room and saw that all the staff had spoons in their
pockets. When the waiter came back to serve our soup I asked,
"Why the spoon?"

"Well," he explained, "the restaurant's owners recently hired
XYZ Consulting, experts in efficiency, in order to revamp
all our processes. After several months of statistical analysis,
they concluded that customers drop their spoons 73.84% more
often than any other utensil. This represents a drop frequency
of approximately 3 spoons per table per hour. If our personnel
are prepared to deal with that contingency, we can reduce the
number of trips back to the kitchen and save 5 man-hours per shift."

As luck would have it, I dropped my spoon and he was able to
replace it with his spare spoon. "I'll get another spoon the
next time I go to the kitchen instead of making an extra trip
to right now."

I was rather impressed. I then noticed that there was a very
thin string hanging out of the waiter's fly. Looking around,
I noticed that all the waiters had the same string hanging
from their flies. My curiosity got the better of me once more,
and before he walked off, I asked the waiter, "Excuse me,
but can you tell me why you have that string right there?"

"Oh, certainly!" he answered, lowering his voice.
"Not everyone is as observant as you. That consulting firm
I mentioned also found out that we can save time in the restroom."

"How so?"

"See," he continued, "by tying this string to the tip of you know
what, we can pull it out over the urinal without touching it, and
that way eliminate the need to wash our hands, shortening the
time spent in the restroom by 76.39%."

"Okay, that makes sense, but . . .if the string helps you get it
out, how do you put it back in?"

"Well," he whispered, lowering his voice even further, "I don't
know about the others, but I use the spoon."

15 comments:

  1. LOL, I'll never ask for a new spoon again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, so did you use that spoon thereafter? *can't control my laugh...now feel like vomiting*

    ReplyDelete
  3. LB, yeah, a fork is safer.

    Joe, come to think of it, I still asked for spoons. Jeez.... how could I forget. Must remember the next time. **Remember! Remember!**

    ReplyDelete
  4. u can safely ask for a knife. haha..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think a knife is spared (if carried in the pocket) either as the handle is quite like a finger. Haha...

    This is truly precious. Please hand me the string for my stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:26 PM

    Eeeee
    Next time I must remember to bring my own utensils... knife, fork, most of all spoons

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha
    this is one of the jokes used by mike hui in his 1st comedy movie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin, Agus, I think you guys should be working for XYZ Consulting. You'll have your clients in stitches! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zeroimpact, haha.. that's a thought.

    See fei, is that so? Michael Hui's movies are hilarious especially with the other brother, not Sam. I don't remember his name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:38 PM

    Hui Kun Ying...
    I luv them I like happi happi stuff...
    I like smile n laugh...
    heh heh heh
    hah hah hah
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Zeroimpact, thanks. That was fast. He does have a face that makes you laugh, not in a bad way, I mean. He adds humour to the show. I love comedies too provided they're not too silly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Think of how many man-hours could be saved if the employees also carried a toothbrush and used it to brush their teeth, wash dishes, clean the tables and floors, comb their eyebrows, clean their ears, and dust off the spoon before giving it to a customer.

    Now THAT'S efficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:00 AM

    LOLz ... no wonder most of western food are eaten with fork & knife :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL

    Reminds me of some the hidden camera videos from restaurant kitchens. Some of the things they catch are pretty disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You, my dear MM, is THE Consultant of all Consultants! LOL!

    Slurp! Nooooooooo!!!!

    Pandabonium, yes, awful aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete