Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Yee Sang - Dish of Prosperity

With a festival and a long weekend too for everyone just around the corner, food and travel naturally came up as topics at our tea- and lunch-breaks. Everyone was in agreement that after all that good food, meal after meal, the thought of food after that, particularly meat, would be a natural appetite suppressant. I know we shouldn't be complaining when there is food. However, vegetable dishes would of course be much preferred. I sure am looking forward to tossing the Yee Sang, the raw fish salad that is a signature dish for Chinese New Year.

By the way, did you know that there are 27 ingredients that make up this Chinese dish of prosperity? They include daikon (white radish), carrots, red pepper (capsicum), turnips, red pickled ginger, sun-dried oranges, daun limau nipis (key lime leaves), Chinese parsley, chilli, jellyfish, chopped peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, Chinese shrimp crackers (or fried dried shrimp), five spice powder and other ingredients, laced with a sauce using plum sauce, rice vinegar, kumquat paste and sesame oil. (Source: Wikipedia)


Image source: Wikipedia

5 comments:

  1. We wanna eat this for CNY! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure looking forward to tossing the yee sang.. and oh, i didn't realised there are 27 ingredients, hmmm, not an auspicious number though, maybe add one more to make it 28?? :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with [SK] as Chinese always love the fatt fatt thingie. Yee fatt sound great haha whatever if you believe it will come. Now I know there are 27 ingredients. tQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never eaten Yee Sang all my life. Perhaps because of my family background. Besides, when I was growing up I didn't think my area was influence by cantonese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:57 PM

    I like yee sang only for the raw salmnon. Otherwise, I find the dish a tad too sweet.

    They have fruits yee sang too.

    ReplyDelete