Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Fixed favorite loafers make a happy me

Have you ever got a repair done on your shoes?

The other day, I sent a pair of loafers to the local cobbler for some fixing.  I've only worn them for a couple of months and the soles were already giving way, coming off, sort of.  My fault, really.  I only 'discovered' the shoes, still in the box, the other day.  They've been in the closet from last year!  That's the problem when you buy too many pairs of shoes at one time and you sometimes lose track of them. Oops!

Driving with your shoes on also reduces the lifespan of your shoes, believe me.  That's why I drive wearing slippers but I digress.

Here in Malaysia, cobblers still operate in five-foot ways just outside shops as in the picture below.  These cobblers are usually immigrant Indonesians but of late, I've noticed local retired Malay men operating the business.  This professional in the image is parked outside a bank located in a row of shops.  You'll find cobblers at their station from as early as 10 in the morning and they close shop when office-workers finish for the day.  The repair job is normally done the same day.  You send your shoes in the morning and collect them later in the afternoon.  Easy-peasy.


Cobblers like him can be found everywhere in every housing estate as well as in the older parts of the city. However, we do have the more professional cobblers operating in shopping complexes, which I've had the chance to use just once - why pay more when you can get just-as-good or even better service at a better rate from mobile cobblers.

The loafers that I sent needed some gum-work to hold the soles in place.  I don't think epoxy is being used but plain old reliable shoe gum.  The shoes came back not only with soles in place, I noticed there was stitching all around and very well done too.  Good job!  I was one happy customer.   Now, my boots next.

6 comments:

  1. I thought he tied his hair, on closer look, they're actually umbrellas handles. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The hair caught your attention, didn't it?

      Delete
  2. At least can be fix. For me ..my heels were cracked..cant be fuxed. Used to hv many pairs of heels but now no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cracked heels are hard to replace. You get a reason to buy new shoes then.

      Delete
  3. i always try to fix my own shoes first, and so far i have only get the roadside cobbler the fix the thinning sole.. i have this "contact grip" adhesive, cheap at RM2.50 a stick, really useful in giving me quick fix on my "crocodile mouth" sport shoes, just need a 15-minutes to stick the sole back together~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried fixing my own shoes but sounds like a good thing what you bought.

      Delete