Monday, January 14, 2008

Batik Inspirations - Malaysia's Living Heritage









If you are in the fashion industry, or one who loves batik, or culture and heritage, or one who simply loves coffee-table books, Batik Inspirations, is for you.

In it, you will find everything about batik from its meaning to its design, batik Malaysia, its history, the art behind it, and how batik is today. Batik creations from nine local designers are featured in this amazing collector's item. I believe this is the only comprehensive book on batik in the whole of Malaysia. The first.

The book which has been receiving rave reviews, is the brainchild of QuaChee, Malaysian-born photographer, writer, and model with the collaboratiion of photographer eM.K (pronounced emkay) who has 30 years of photography experience.

Batik Inspirations comes in two versions. The one on the left is the original version, meant for overseas markets, while the one on the right, with the butterflies, is more for Malaysian market with added testimonials from our own dignitaries. This book is great as corporate gifts too.

If you have read the comments in my previous post, Falling Into You, you would have noticed the author of the second comment. I was pleasantly surprised by the name. It actually struck me as familiar, like I have seen the name before, so I googled QuaChee and lo and behold! I realised my instincts were correct.

QuaChee, if you are reading this, thank you for gracing my humble blog. Your passion is indeed an inspiration. May your Batik Inspirations soar to greater heights. Best wishes to more milestones! Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:25 AM

    Those books look fascinating. I love batik patterns. They are so cultural and out of this world, for me.

    Malaysian Batik is so different from Indonesian one. I can't pinpoint what's the difference, but they are different. Am I making any sense? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this wonderful books..


    yes, batiks is really something worth preserving and exploring. have you tried your hands on it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Happy Surfer, many thanks for your inspiring words. You actually did a good full write up here! :)

    PS: Your blog's cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andie, you sure are making a lot of sense. Yes, there is certainly something distinct in all the batik in this region. Every one of them has its own merits. I'm glad someone is taking the initiative to document Malaysian batik. That is highly commendable, afterall batik is part of a country's culture and heritage. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, unfortunately, I've not had the chance to see it done first-hand nor tried my hand at it. I think it would be an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Quachee, thanks for your kind words. Very nice of you to drop by.

    I'm just glad to be able to do my teeny-weeny part in preserving part of our Malaysian culture. It would not have been possible without your beautiful book, of course. I'm positive this book of yours is providing a lot of people with a lot of inspiration. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:06 PM

    eBambi
    The models - photographers (but not only) social network.
    Join now for free:
    http://www.ebambi.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:37 PM

    Thanks for news about batik book, it looks very ineteresting.

    As Andie, i also feel difference between Indonesian and Malaysian batik :)

    ReplyDelete