Sunday, November 15, 2009
World Diabetes Day
I believe it's World Diabetes Day today so a little extra knowledge about this deadly disease is in order.
DIABETES FACTS WORLDWIDE (Courtesy of The Star)
1. Every year seven million people develop diabetes.
2. Every 10 seconds
- A person dies from diabetes-related causes
- Two people develop diabetes
3. Seven of the 10 countries with the highest number of diabetics are in the developing world.
4. Type 1 diabetes, which mainly affects youths, is rising alarmingly at a rate of 3% per year.
5. In the 1970s, Malaysians only consume 17 teaspoonfuls of sugar per person, but it is up to 24 now.
6. Early this year, the country was ranked the world's eighth highest sugar user.
Startling stats, eh? Time to play our part to reverse the trend and most importantly to take positive steps for the sake of our own health.
More information here about diabetes..