Thursday, October 8, 2009
Go Pink in October for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Pink is in!
Yes, October is here again and October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
This is an annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention and cure. The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer.
It is a prime opportunity to remind women to be breast aware for earlier detection. Early detection saves lives.
Corporate companies around the world are chipping in in full support of this breast cancer awareness, research, prevention and cure initiative.
If you think breast cancer is only confined to women, think again. According to the BCRF,
- In 2009, 1,910 new cases of breast cancer in men are expected in the U.S.
- In 2009, 440 men are expected to die from breast cancer in the U.S.
Some more insightful information from the Breast Cancer Research Foundation site:
- Women are at higher risk if they are obese, especially after menopause
breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women (after lung cancer)
- Women are at higher risk for breast cancer if they have a personal or family history of the disease
- In the U.S., a women is diagnosed with breast cancer, on average, every 3 minutes
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women (after lung cancer)
- Women aged 20-39 should have a clinical exam every 3 years
- All women 40 and over should get an annual mammogram and clinical exam
- The biggest risk factors for breast cancer are being a woman and aging
There you have it. You may ask Why Should We Support the Breast Cancer Research Foundation?
* The money works right away:
* The donation is activated immediately to support the finest and most promising research project around the world.
* More than 85 cents of each dollar donated to BCRF goes directly to breast cancer research and awareness programs.
* For more information about BCRF, visit www.bcrfcure.org.
Here's a graphical interpretation of how the funds are being used:
The BCRF Mission:
BCRF support from more than 110 corporate partners have helped them raise over $250 million since inception in 1993. The Breast Cancer Research Foundation and their partners have come together in their mission to bring breast cancer out of the darkness by supporting top researchers in groundbreaking studies across the globe.
We can all help in this effort in various ways, the easiest being shopping in stores that are contributing to this initiative.
We can go Pink Shopping..
Shop at Sony stores.
Sony Electronics will be donating a maximum of $110,000 from their breast cancer initiative this year to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation in connection with the following products:
* VAIO® W Series notebook bundle (VPC-W111XX/PC)
* Reader Pocket Edition™ bundle (PRS-300RC/B)
In addition, shop at your local Sony Style store between 6pm and 8pm on Tuesday, October 20, and a maximum of $15,000 will be donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. (*excluding COMCAST Center)
Or shop at any one of the other BCRF corporate alliances.. and become a part of this campaign to support The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
Something else you could do..
Join the Estée Lauder Companies' 2009 Breast Cancer Awareness campaign by spreading the word about the World Pink Mosaic - an online photo mosaic of breast cancer survivors and supporters all united in their support for breast health and the desire for a world without breast cancer.
Follow this link to see the World Pink Mosaic and submit your own image by clicking on "Join the Cause."
Estée Lauder's support of Breast Cancer Awareness has always been very visible. I remember seeing our very own KL Tower last year being illuminated by a huge purplish pink banner running down the entire span of the tower making it visible for miles around.
The Global Illumination effort included landmarks such as :
The Harbour Bridge - Sydney Australia
The Hangzhou Department Store - Hangzhou China
Niagara Falls - Ontario Canada
The Eden Project - Cornwall England
The Majestic Hotel - Cannes France
The French Affiliate Building - Paris France
The Angel of Peace - Munich Germany
City Hall - Reykjavik Iceland
Azrieli Towers - Tel Aviv Israel
Constantine's Arch - Rome Italy
The Arena - Verona Italy
Tokyo Tower - Tokyo Japan (image above)
City Hall Square - Seoul Korea
The Dam Square - Amsterdam The Netherlands
The Skytower - Auckland New Zealand
If you'd prefer to contribute directly, here's where you can donate.
Have a wonderful October but not forgetting to give a thought to supporting this good cause.
Breast Cancer Research Foundation