Monday, April 4, 2016

Chestnuts they are a-roasting


C is for Chestnuts.

You can tell chestnuts are in season when the aroma of chestnuts being roasted is in the air.

One might mistake it for coffee even but then again, one is not wrong. Chestnuts here sold by street vendors are roasted with coffee beans and butter. More accurately, they are roasted in a pan/pot like this.


This is actually an improved method, which is less labour-intensive.

Some vendors still do manual frying the chestnuts in a large wok with coffee beans and butter being the main ingredients that make these chestnuts so attractive to the senses.

The next time you are here in Malaysia, watch out for these. Don't leave Malaysia without tasting our roasted chestnuts. You can find them in market squares. Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur would be a good start to look.

Image source

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever eaten roasted chestnuts, I have eaten chestnut paste that my french friend sent me as part of a Christmas parcel, but that's not the same I know!

    I had no idea they did it with coffee and butter, learn something new every A to Z Challenge! I read that it's your 1st year, good luck with the rest of the alphabet, great start!

    Mars xx
    @TrollbeadBlog from
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted chestnuts and cook them in oven after cutting an X on them. I'm road tripping today and discovered your blog. I'll be back. Mine is at https://everyonehasafamilystorytotell.wordpress.com/category/2016-blogging-from-a-to-z-challenge/

    ReplyDelete