Every year around this time, just before the Lunar or Chinese new year begins, fortune-tellers, feng shui masters and people in this field would come up with a forecast of the year ahead particularly in relation to your animal sign in the Chinese Zodiac.
We all know that our life and fortunes vary from year to year and being curious in nature, we would want to know what the new year holds for us, even just for reading pleasure. Wouldn't you? But before we go into the actual forecast, first, a little tale to go with the Chinese Zodiac or Chinese Astrology. This is from a forwarded email, so the actual source is unknown, but if you do know, please drop me a comment so source can be creditted.
There is a famous legend behind the Chinese Astrology that says once upon a time the Jade Emperor arranged an animal swimming race to measure time. The first twelve animals that completed the race were Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Ram (or Goat), Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig. As a prize, they all got a year each named after them.
According to another legend, Buddha once invited all the animals in the world for a New Year celebration, but only twelve animals turned up. Buddha then rewarded them by naming a year each after them. Moreover, these years follow in the order the animals arrived for the New Year celebration.
Yet, another popular legend is, Buddha before he passed on, summoned all the animals to his side. The twelve animals in the Chinese Zodiac were the first twelve to arrive and he named each year in their honour, in the order the animals arrived. This is the one I am more familiar with.
Let's now take a look at each animal, their major personality traits and what the prospects are for 2009, the Year of the Ox
. Check yours out.The Rat
Rats are charming, elegant and clever. They can be a bit gossipy and prone to being distracted. They're also thrifty and very good with handling money. Family and close friends are exceptionally important to them. The Rat is charming beyond words and throughout his undoubtedly long life he will always be popular and will have many friends. Forecast for 2009
- 2009 will be an encouraging and positive year but the Rat will need to keep his eye on the world around him in order to avoid unnecessary pressures. Training and learning new skills in their careers will ensure financial security over the coming months and increased self-confidence. On the home front, this will be an excellent year for the Rat with at least one happy family occasion and if they can manage it, an enjoyable family holiday. Romantically, this is the year to make great progress whether to meet someone new or take things to a new level with a special partner. May to September will be very favorable for socialising .The Ox
Sturdy, earthy, no-nonsense – that's the Ox. Affectionate and easy-going, the Ox can show a fierce temper when agitated. He is neat, tidy, quiet and studious, with a great love of his home. Music can be a great love. Family life and a loving partner are high on the Ox's priorities. A wonderful loyal friend. Forecast for 2009
- The Ox sees overall improvements in his situation during his own year in 2009. The main area of enjoyment will be the interaction with others, either with friends and family or on a more romantic level. A key phrase to bear in mind this year is 'hold fast'. There may be setbacks and delays in the general run of life, but keep calm and persist and all will be well. There will be an opportunity to study and learn (in common with other signs this year) which should appeal to the Ox and there will be a huge sense of pride with what is achieved. Between May and July there are significant developments on the work front, in particular important talks with a boss or superior, while September to November sees very interesting and delightful romantic encounters! The Tiger
Magnetic, passionate and grand! When the Tiger does anything, it's noticed! Indecisiveness and stubbornness can mar the sparkle of the Tiger personality. On the one hand generous, on the other hand a little mean, it's sometimes hard to know where one stands with the Tiger. Flexible, honest and truly entertaining, one has a friend for life with a Tiger. Forecast for 2009
- 2009 will be a challenging year for the Tiger, but it definitely lays the foundation for 2010 which is his own year. Discipline, concentration and focus will be of paramount importance to the Tiger this year. Keeping their eye on the end goal and dreams will stand to them throughout the year. Financial issues must be addressed seriously and spending should be done wisely. Romantically February to July could be very exciting but discretion must be used! The end of the year, November and December, will present excellent career opportunities for those Tigers ready to move up the job ladder.The Rabbit
Cuddly, warm and affectionate are the attributes of the Rabbit. Mysterious and a great party-giver and host, the Rabbit enjoys being the centre of attention once in a while. The Rabbit is occasionally over cautious and can be a bit boring. He is also one of the luckiest signs in the Chinese Astrology chart. Forecast for 2009
- Slow and steady – this is how 2009 will progress for most Rabbits. Travel will also feature prominently in between a busy social life and an increased workload at their job. Friends and family mean the world to the Rabbit and their support and love this year will be especially important. Single Rabbits will likely meet a potential partner in a social situation and all will find that August and September sparkle romantically! Careerwise, November is the best month to put themselves forward for a well-earned promotion or payrise. Artistic Rabbits could be approached regarding an exciting new project. The Dragon
Assertive, energetic and talented are all words to describe the Dragon personality. On the other hand, the Dragon has a tendency to be condescending and tactless without realising it. They generally enjoy robust health and tend to be very successful in anything they turn their hand to. Forecast for 2009
- Most Dragons will have an increase in income during 2009 which will be very welcome. They will be strong and focused in pursuing their objectives for the year. Dragons should take their time and appreciate any valuable advice they are given. Time should be made to enjoy hobbies and fun activities. Gossip could feature strongly during the year and all Dragons should take care not to indulge in idle chit chat lest in backfires on them! Socially, May to August will be a fun time with many Dragons taking their romances more seriously. March and April will bring intriguing job offers for those seeking a change in direction. The Snake
Intelligent and highly intuitive are two of the Snake's many fine qualities. He makes an amusing and romantic friend with a definite flirtatious streak. When challenged or criticized he can be a sore loser. The Snake is very lucky with money and is fond of the odd bet or two. He is quick-witted and enjoys reading, music and occasionally the paranormal side of life. Forecast for 2009
- For the Snake, 2009 will be quite fast-paced and demanding and they will need to remain flexible and positive to enjoy it. Romance features strongly and for the single Snake, this could be the year to start a serious relationship. Financially, impulse buys should be kept under control and risks should be minimized. 2009 will be an excellent year for self-discovery and reviewing recreational interests and hobbies. April to June will present great social opportunities and new friendships. October and November will shine on the work front. The Horse
Fun, charming and attractive sums up the Horse's traits perfectly. They love parties and crowds and being the centre of attention. They can also be egotistical, hotheaded and impatient. The Horse is a considerate and protective friend and partner and when in his company, there will always be excitement around the next corner. Forecast for 2009
- 2009 will see the Horse making excellent progress in whatever area of his life he chooses. Finances will feature in a positive way as well with a possible increase in income. They should take care, however, to manage their money wisely and make plans. Balance needs to be maintained between work time and leisurely pursuits in order to stay healthy and centered. The Horse will have a tendency to overdo things this year. January to March will be fortuitous for changing jobs while April and December will favor romantic pursuits – for those attached, these months could bring news of an engagement! The Goat
Graceful and optimistic, kind and easy going, would describe a Goat personality. They can also be petulant and discontented, likely to throw the towel in at the beginning of a problem. They can be charming without revealing their true feelings. The Goat is very talented and imaginative and can turn his hand to most creative pursuits. Forecast for 2009
- The Goat need not feel on his own in 2009 as there will be much support and friendship to help him in this busy year. With so much going on in all areas of his life, the Goat would do well to plan ahead and take his time in making decisions. Money-wise, the Goat needs to curb his enthusiasm for spending and exercise some self-discipline or problems may arise later! July to September will present many social events and possibilities for love and romance. Short trips and travel are well inspected in August and October for all Goats. The Monkey
The Monkey is playful, lively, fun and a quick thinker. They get bored very easily and find it hard to settle down to doing any one thing. The Monkey can also be vain and offhand. They are ambitious and usually very good with investing money. With their quick wit and wonderful sense of humour, they are a great party guest. The Monkey's life will never be dull and predictable! Forecast for 2009
- The Monkey's fine creative streak can be put to excellent use in 2009 if he concentrates on one task at a time rather than attempting many projects at once. With keeping so busy, the Monkey needs to watch his own health and allow adequate time for work, rest and fun. On the home front, there may be celebrations and happy family gatherings throughout the year. The Monkey's love life will shine also with many getting engaged or meeting someone very special. March to July will be particularly busy socially. November will be an excellent time for work-related promotions or recognition.The Rooster
The Rooster is always popular, extravagant and creative. They can be brutally honest and generally like being showered with attention. They are wonderfully loyal friends and also give advice freely – whether they are asked for it or not! Family means the world to the Rooster and they are fiercely loyal to those they care about. Forecast for 2009
- 2009 will run along the themes of enthusiasm, planning and determination, all of which suit the Rooster perfectly! At home and with family, life will run much smoother and will be a source of happiness and security for all Roosters. Money matters are well starred also this year with either a pay rise, a surprise bonus or both! Hobbies and travelling look prominent as well, with pleasant pursuits greatly enjoyed during the year. July to September will favor career moves and travel is highlighted towards October. The Dog
The Dog is wonderfully hard worker, a perfectionist and someone who loves the small details. He is also a bit anti-social, pessimistic and stubborn. They are one of the most honest and loyal signs of the Chinese zodiac and will always go to bat for a worthy cause. The Dog is a fantastic listener and his advice is usually very intuitive. Forecast for 2009
- The Dog will find a busier social life and more friends during 2009. This will be a challenging year on the work front, but Dogs should take a deep breath, be patient and remain steadfast. Solid foundations are being built for the very favorable Year of the Tiger in 2010. Travel will be particularly enjoyable and home life will be very special in 2009. October to December will be very interesting regarding new job opportunities. May and November will see romance beautifully highlighted with many happy social get-togethers. The Pig
The Pig is an innocent, sweet and lovable personality. They can also be quite melancholy and over-sensitive. The Pig loves the company of others, and adores parties, gossip and chit chat. They are highly intelligent, but prefer to keep this side of their nature under wraps. The Pig does not care that much for money, but is one of the zodiac signs that is very lucky. Forecast for 2009
- 2009 should prove to be a lucky and encouraging year for all Pigs. Interesting offers and chance meetings can occur at any time of the year and the Pig needs to be alert and aware for any lucky breaks. With such a hectic year, it's important for the Pig to make time for fun and relaxation and travel may be one way to do this. It's also an excellent year to review his diet and fitness regime, as he needs to be in top form for such an active schedule. April to July will bring happy times for love and relationships, while August and September bring interesting offers on the work front, particularly in relation to publishing and writing.