Monday, April 3, 2006

Women, the Fairer Gender?

No wonder they say things come in waves and nothing happens
by chance. I just put up that post on women ruling the world
and then received these two articles - about women again.
If nothing else, they're good for a laugh. Enjoy!


The Modern Daughter-in-law

It is a myth that when a son gets married and a new daughter-
in-law arrives in the family, everything changes. Some
daughters-in-law are well-trained and well-mannered. They
don't come to change the family but they are here to.........

The new wife was being welcomed at the husband's home in a
traditional manner. As expected she gave a speech:

My dear family, I thank you for welcoming me into my new
home and family", she said,

"Firstly, my being here does not mean that I would want
to change your way of life or your routine. No, I will
never do that, never in a million years".

"What do you mean my child?", asked the father-in-law.

"What I mean dad is (looking at her father-in-law):

Those who used to wash dishes must carry on washing them.
Those who used to do the laundry must carry on doing it.
Those who cooked shouldn't stop at my account, and
Those who used to Clean should continue cleaning".

"Then what are you here for?", asked the mother-in-law.

"As for me, my job is to only entertain your son!"


And this:
To All Princesses:

This is the fairy tale that we should have been reading
as little girls!

Once upon a time, in a land far away, a beautiful,
independent, self-assured princess happened upon a frog
as she sat, contemplating ecological issues on the shores
of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle.

The frog hopped into the princess' lap and said:
"Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince, until an evil
witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however,
and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that
I am and then, my sweet, we can marry and set up house-
keeping in your castle with my mother, where you can
prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children,
and forever feel grateful and happy doing so."

That night, as the princess dined sumptuously on lightly
sautéed frog legs seasoned in a white wine and onion cream
sauce, she chuckled and thought to herself:
"I don't freakin' think so!"

6 comments:

  1. MM, notice the word 'dapper' which you used in your post. Things happen in waves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's really strange, isn't it? I guess we caught a "vibe"!

    It's almost enough to distract me from feeling horrified at that second story! (Then again, my Mrs. and I have always teamed up on the housekeeping, so I guess we're not quite so "medieval".)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omigosh... this is such a true scenario in life!

    "you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children, and forever feel grateful and happy doing so."

    why does this line sound so hauntingly familiar...? :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little boy asked his mother, "Why are you crying?"

    "Because I'm a woman," she told him.

    "I don't understand," he said. His Mom just hugged him and said, "And you never will."

    Later the little boy asked his father, "Why does mother seem to cry for no reason?"

    "All women cry for no reason," was all his dad could say.

    The little boy grew up and became a man, still wondering why women cry.

    Finally he put in a call to God. When God got on the phone, he asked, "God, why do women cry so easily?"

    God said:

    "When I made the woman she had to be special.

    I made her shoulders strong enough to carry the weight of the world, yet gentle enough to give comfort.

    I gave her an inner strength to endure childbirth and the rejection that many times comes from her children.

    I gave her a hardness that allows her to keep going when everyone else gives up, and take care of her family through sickness and fatigue without complaining.

    I gave her the sensitivity to love her children under any and all circumstances, even when her child has hurt her very badly.

    I gave her strength to carry her husband through his faults and fashioned her from his rib to protect his heart.

    I gave her wisdom to know that a good husband never hurts his wife, but sometimes tests her strengths and her resolve to stand beside him unfalteringly.

    And finally, I gave her a tear to shed. This is hers exclusively to use whenever it is needed."

    "You see my son," said God, "the beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair.

    The beauty of a woman must be seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart - the place where love resides."

    ReplyDelete
  5. YD, it sounds so hauntingly familiar because it's from a frog-brain! And it could be any frog-brain. haha........

    Dear Robin, that is so overwhelming. I love this part best "And finally, I gave her a tear to shed. This is hers exclusively to use whenever it is needed."" - a resource to use in defence or in sadness or even in joy.

    Thank you for sharing this lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello AFT, welcome to my blog and thank you for visiting.

    Frog leg porridge is also very nice; so is frog legs stir-fried with ginger and spring onions.

    For those who may be wondering about the taste, frog legs taste just like chicken.

    I wonder if it's true. I was told that frog legs are good for people suffering from asthma. Another old wives tale?

    ReplyDelete