Malaysians have made their choice! Though Barisan Nasional (BN) will form the next government winning more than half of the Parliamentary seats and the federal territory, five states have been won by the Opposition making this election the worst ever election performance for BN.
The five states won by the Opposition are Kedah, Penang, Perak, Selangor and Kelantan. The Opposition parties are DAP, PKR and PAS.
The State of Parliament thus stands at:
..BN = 136
..Opposition = 80 (PKR = 29; DAP = 28; PAS = 23)
Among the results yesterday were:
- The Barisan lost Kedah, Penang, Perak and Selangor,
- PAS strengthened grip on Kelantan,
- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting won in their seats,
- Among ministers who lost their seats were Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu, Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil, Datuk Seri Zainuddin Maidin,
- Gerakan acting president Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon lost to Dr P. Ramasamy in the Batu Kawan parliamentary seat.
Meanwhile, party leaders urged for calm and police have banned all victory celebrations.
Here's a video clip of the PM's post-election press conference
Read more..BN wins federal govt but opposition takes five states