Have you sometimes experienced heartburn and indigestion after a hearty meal? Perhaps it was the chilli from the curry laksa or the assam gravy from the assam fish meal?
Here are 5 tips from Marica Caposaldo on how to avoid heartburn and indigestion as well as the kinds of food to avoid and the food to replace them with.
5 tips to avoid heartburn and indigestion
1. Avoid alcohol and stop smoking. It’s ok to have a drink from time to time, but don’t overindulge on alcohol. Try to find the drink that makes you the least acidic, and always eat before you go out. If you are a smoker, try to quit. Start with a daily cut down, and see if it makes you feel better. Once it does, you won’t want to go back to it.
2. Don’t overeat. Try to have smaller meals spread out during the whole day, and try to especially avoid eating too much in the night, before going to bed or right before lying down. Take a walk instead.
3. Avoid drinking soda and coffee. They’re not healthy anyways, so you might as well avoid them as much as you can. Alternatively, drink your coffee with a lot of milk, and drink your tea once it’s cooled down.
4. Stay away from spicy and fatty foods. You will want to keep this in mind, if you don’t want to roll around the floor in pain. Don’t eat very spicy foods at all, and cut down on the fried foods as much as possible.
5. Work out more. This applies especially if you are the right candidate to shed some pounds; but generally speaking, exercising increases your metabolism, which in return will help your stomach work better.
Ultimately, if nothing works, and you are experiencing some excruciating pain and discomfort, there is still hope. In case of emergency, try Gaviscon.
Gaviscon is a medicine that fights indigestion, heartburn and acid reflux. It helps keep acid down in the stomach, where it belongs, by creating a foam barrier on top of the stomach acid. This foam barrier helps reduce the number of reflux episodes and provides longer lasting action against heartburn and indigestion than ordinary antacid products. And the best thing about it is that it works in only 3 minutes, and provides a long lasting relief of up to 4 hours!
You can get it in the form of tablets, liquid, and liquid sachets. Take a look at the list of products here.