Thursday, November 29, 2012

Spinal Stenosis and Scoliosis


We take everything for granted, don't we? For instance, we think nothing of being able to walk straight without having any pain in our back.

Having a number of colleagues with spinal injuries and one with scoliosis makes me appreciate a backbone that is in pretty good shape. Thank my lucky stars.

I learned of a new spinal condition today and that is Spinal stenosis.

Spinal stenosis is a medical condition characterized by a narrowing of the spine that pinches or otherwise irritates the spinal nerves unlike scoliosis which has the spine curving from side to side. On an X-ray, viewed from the rear, the spine of an individual with scoliosis may look more like an "S" or a "C", rather than a straight line. My poor friend with scoliosis suffers from constant back-pain.

Thank your lucky stars? You bet!


Image of Scoliosis - Source: Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. A long time ago I fractured my spine in a car accident. I took almost a year before I could walk normally again, and much longer before I could walk without any pain.

    That little pile of vertebrae? That's a pretty important little pile. Be nice to it! ^^

    ReplyDelete